Thursday, October 09, 2008

. . . My Unmasked Friends . . .

Before, Masskara Festival was just like any other festival to me… it will come and it will go. But everything changed since I worked in the Department of Tourism - Southern Tagalog Tourism Council (DOT-STTC) about 4 years ago.

I was assigned by my boss to be one of the event coordinators of “Masskara at Market! Market!” held on October 23-24, 2004. Market! Market!, a mall developed and managed by Ayala Land, Inc. located at Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, is newly opened at that time. Our office together with Market! Market! redefined mall entertainment when we successfully brought the Masskara Festival to the metro exhibiting the colorful masks and featuring the actual winning dance troupe, Brgy. Villamonte together with their choreographer, Mr. Panoy Cabalcar performed right in the activity center.
Brgy. Villamonte Masskara Dance Troupe won 1st place both in the open and barangay categories of the 25th Masskara Festival with five minor awards, barangay category – best in mask, best in costume, best in concept and in the open category – best in costume and best in choreography. They were also the champion of the 2003 Masskara Festival and got 4 out of 4 minor awards. They have represented the Philippines in the 2004 Shanghai Tourism Festival with 15 other countries participating and watched by more than 200 million people in China. In fact, they gave me a memorabilia pin of that said festival.
Now, every time October comes in I would always reminisce the times I had with them. I remember giving them the wake-up call at Atrium Hotel, joining them at meals and watching them every rehearsal and on their actual performance on stage. Though, we’d only been for quite some time; I did enjoy getting to know them. I will forever treasure the friendship we have.
To my friends: Nahidlaw na ko sa inyo! Tani makabisita ko dira sa Villamonte! Bati ko ma-entra kamo sini nga Masskara Festival. Goodluck! Matan-aw na lang ko sa inyo sa tv! (I miss you all! I hope I could visit you there in Villamonte. I heard your group is joining again this year’s festival. Goodluck! I’ll be watching you on tv!)

1 comment:

Nicely said...

i made the draft of the president's message for this year's masskara festival. ang saya!